A good question to ask

is "What weight will I be happy at?" I thought about that on my way home from the gym today. It's like this. When I was at my heaviest weight, I thought that if I just lost 10 pounds, I'd be happy. I lost the 10 pounds. I still wasn't happy with my weight. I lost 10 more pounds. Still not happy. I lost 20 more pounds. Still not happy. It's like a vicious cycle that keeps going. Of course, I'm happy with my progress so far, but I wonder if I'll ever really be content with my body weight and my body image? We all have the Media telling us that we should look one way and weigh this "ideal" amount. We get to that "ideal" weight and then we're told we are too skinny?! WHAT THE HECK PEOPLE?!?! I don't get it! I have noticed something about myself as I go along with my own weight loss journey. I don't readily see all the progress that I've made so far, but I seem to be more focused on how far I still have to go yet. And I'm always looking at my body and seeing the things that I still don't like about it instead of seeing how far I've come. It's driving me crazy, and I really want to change that way of thinking. I have decided to focus more on the positive things that I have accomplished and stop focusing so much on the things that aren't so perfect yet. Like my belly for instance. I have had 4 kids, and that has done a number on my waist, but my eating didn't help at all. So even though I've lost 10 1/2 inches off of my waist, I still have some fat there, so my stomach doesn't look Bikini-ready yet. Not that I would even have the confidence to wear a bikini in public at all, but I want to get my belly to a place where I can feel great about it and not have to have an ounce of the "pizza belly" that my kids call it! LOL I don't want that term to describe my belly at all when I get to my goal weight. Also, my butt is another problem area. There are two words that describe my butt: #1 Cellulite & #2 Dimples! LOL I love those two words don't you?! NOT!!!! LOL Come on people, we all have our problem areas, and I know I'm not the only one that has dimples in their cheeks, (And I'm not talking about the cheeks on your face!) LOL I know I have some work to do on this body of mine and that it will take time. It's the patience part of things that I have a hard time with. I'm sure we're all that way, right? I have a lot of areas on my body that are problem areas. I just try to remember these three words and they help me to keep going, no matter how long it takes. Those three words are PATIENCE, PERSISTENCE, & PERSEVERANCE.
If I just focus on those three words, then I know that I will get the body I really want, and when I have it then watch out! Here I come world! :)

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm trying to make my weight loss goal = being healthy, whatever that means. First I want to get into the "normal" vs "overweight" (where I am now) BMI. Then I'd love to have my blood levels all be at NORMAL. If I can get those things, I hope I can STOP and just love myself no matter what I look like. That's 20 lbs away from now and I hope I can get there and then feel satisfied. I don't think my 3-pregnancy belly thing is ever really going to go away.
MaryFran said…
I ask myself that question a lot. And honestly, I'm not sure I'll ever really be happy. For me, mainly becuase of the fact that it still hasn't sunk in that I've lost a butt-load of weight. Inside I still have that fat mentality, and see myself as the 'old' MaryFran.
anastasia said…
i think there comes a point where you go "no this feels right" and that's when you finally realise that you've gone far enough or lost enough.

it's hard when it's you to see what progress you've made which is why the progress pics are such a great idea. you're doing great. don't let this spoil it. you will know when it's time.
Doug said…
I'm going to know I'll be happy with my weight when the girls start winking again ;)

Popular Posts